Attraction Magazine: Relocation

Guilford & Company Jewelry Store Front View BeforeGuilford & Company Jewelry Store Front View

Guilford & Company Relocates to Historic Home

Coming this June, Guilford & Company, Talbot County’s leading specialist of Fine Antique and Estate Jewelry, will be moving to their new location at 101 North Talbot Street in St. Michaels. Listed on the Maryland Historic Trust State Inventory Site and located prominently in the center of town at the corner of Talbot and Cherry Street, this imposing two-story, five bay frame structure(s) originally started life in the mid 1830s. Archival records note this structure as “a prominent architectural element for this crossroads.”

The past ownership and uses have been recorded as follows:

  • Mary Jane Atwood inherited the lot from her uncle, Thomas Hanna, in 1832. Two years later, she married Littleton D. Ford and they opened Ford’s Tavern and operated this as a tavern and boarding house from approximately 1835 thru 1865.
  • The property was then sold to Thomas Blades and his family who, in 1855, is know to have operated a dry goods, notions, groceries, cigars and tobacco shop on this site until 1920.
  • The C.B. Sewell Family occupied the building from the mid 1920’s thru the mid 1940’s and had an automobile and tire accessories store on the premises.
  • Later uses, from the mid 1940’s thru present time, have included a grocery store, a laundromat, and art gallery, a clothing store and an antique shop.

Guilford & Company’s owner Julie Moriarty Hockaday, teamed up with her husband, Robert Hockaday, a Baltimore-based real estate developer, to redevelop the structures while at the same time maintaining the historical integrity and structural qualities of this building

“The timing was perfect for us,” says Julie. “We have outgrown our current location and needed more space. My husband has redeveloped many historical structures in the Baltimore metropolitan area and we both agreed that it was important this building be saved and lovingly restored.”

Guilford & Company has employed the talents of many of the Mid-Shore professionals to help with this project. Architectural services were provided by Pam Gardner, AIA; engineering services were provided by Claggett Engineering; constructions services were provided by Talbot Builders; electrical services were provided by DC Electric; plumbing services were provided by Ray’s Custom Plumbing. Other contractors include Bay Hundred Landscape, Terrapin Security, Key One Locksmith’s, Gedes Insulation and a host of many other fine contractors.

Look for Guilford & Company’s opening mid-June of this year at its new location at 101 North Talbot Street, St. Michaels. Guilford & Company specializes in Fine Antique and Estate Jewelry. The store is open seven days a week. For additional information, contact us.